Sunday, October 26, 2008

Road Trips can bring lasting joy and something for the floor




In June, Kathy and I went on a great adventure road trip to Billings, Montana to visit Jeff and Jannae and their wonderful family. We had a wonderful time being together, traveling though snow storms, spring flowers and talking non stop for several days. Our host's couldn't have been better- Jeff and Jannae really know how to entertain. Most of all it was such a treat to be with them on their own turf and just hang out. One morning was spent with just the ladies where we toured the Moss Mansion, had a lovely lunch and finished in Italy (well, a close second- they have a great gelato shop there).


While in Billings we went to one of the top ten quilt stores in the nation, Fiber Works and I was over come with a new project idea that they had there-- FLOOR QUILTS. Yes, strange as it sounds, but it's true, a quilt for the floor. I ordered the book and until this fall I hadn't had time to make my own version of a quilt you can walk on. The center blocks of my quilt have an interesting tale of their own- they were saved from the garbage can in Shirley Page's quilting room. She didn't think she had any use for them- and look at how beautiful they are! I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder- thank you Shirley for giving me your blocks! The process for making a floor quilt was . . .well . . . time consuming, but now that it is on the floor I love it.

4 comments:

candace said...

mom! I love the new look. I'm so proud of you for learning this blog thing! I look forward to regular posts from now on!

Jenny said...

That quilt is awesome! I'm always shocked when I see beautiful quilt pieces in my grandma's garbage. I'm glad she let you take them, usually she pushes my hand away as I'm trying to grab them and says she doesn't want me to take them because they're "not right"-however beautiful to my eyes! Good job! I'll have to come and see it!

Julia said...

Christie, Candace gave me your blog address, and I am so excited to read it. Keep the recipes coming, I absolutely love your cooking. The floor quilt is beautiful-- how do you do it?

I just wanted to say hi. I hope you are well,
-Julia (formerly Jill Poulsen)

Jamie said...

I love it too! Your floor quilt is so original, you're so modern and hip. I rented the floor quilt book from the library . . . thinking of making some luggage tags . . .